Summer days call for perfect picnics and BBQ’s in the back garden, and nothing hits the spot better than freshly made dishes that are perfect for sharing with family and friends.
So, if you’re looking for ways to keep the grandchildren entertained during the school holidays, or you’re in need of a little pick-me-up to fuel your next walk, Debbie Paver has put together some easy picnic recipes that are perfectly portable, there’s no sandwiches in sight, just tasty treats to make your picnic feel extra special!
Who’s ready to tuck in?
Quick Veggie Quiche
Quiche is the ultimate dish to pack in your picnic hamper! Often underrated, quiche is my go-to choice for a quick recipe that will please hungry party-goers. Great for eating either hot or cold and easy to pack too.
I’ve made this recipe is vegetarian-friendly and you can adapt this recipe to suit every taste-bud. If you’re in a rush you don’t have to make the pastry from scratch, just use some ready-rolled shortcrust pastry.
For the pastry
- 180g plain flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 80g butter (plus extra for greasing)
For the quiche
- 5 beaten eggs
- 100ml of milk
- 200 ml double cream
- 200g grated cheddar cheese
- 200g cubed feta cheese
- 200g on the vine cherry tomatoes
- 100g fresh spinach
For the pastry
- Rub the flour and the butter together until you have a crumb like texture, than add in a little cold water to combine. Repeat until a firm dough is formed, then leave in the fridge for around an hour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C and grease the quiche tin.
- Roll out onto a floured surface until the pastry is larger than your quiche tin.
- Trim the edges of your pastry with a sharp knife.
- Place a little baking parchment over you pastry and pop in some baking beans (or dry rice) and blind bake for around 25 minutes.
For the quiche
- Remove the pastry from the oven when it is cooked and golden brown, reduce the temperature of your oven down to 160C.
- Mix the eggs, milk, cream, cheddar, and spinach into a bowl and pour into the pastry base (don’t forget to remove your baking beans!).
- Add in the tomatoes and feta cubes evenly across the quiche.
- Bake for around 30 minutes, or until set.
- Once cooled chop up the quiche and carefully wrap up each piece into parchment paper so it's easy for everyone to dig in once dinner is served.
Individual Berry & Yoghurt Parfaits
Perfectly portable, this sweet-treat is great for kids and grown-ups, serve them in jam jars or miniature storage jars for a fun twist.
There’s no strict recipe for parfaits, it’s just a little bit of what you fancy so you can experiment with the fruit or even swap the yoghurt for whipped cream and crushed meringue for an extra indulgent treat. Or, switch the granola for a cheesecake base by mixing crushed digestives with melted butter.
Remember, the bigger the jar, the bigger the dessert!
Tip: To save yourself time on prepping berries and fruit, opt for bags of frozen fruit than you can buy in the supermarket. It's a great purse-friendly way to prep desserts on mass, plus they’ll keep the parfait cooler for longer if you’re on-the-go.
Makes 4 individual parfaits
- 120g Greek yogurt
- 300g granola clusters
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 500g frozen berries
- 1 tsp of sugar
- Fresh mint to serve
- Place 1/3 of the fruit in a pan on a medium heat with the sugar a few gratings of lemon zest. Pop on a lid and cook for around 5 minutes, or until the berries have softened. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Stir together the yogurt and milk in a bowl, and spoon some of the mixture into the bottom of the jars.
- Start layering the jars with the frozen berries and granola clusters, until the jars are about three quarters full.
- Once your berry compote has fully cooled, pour it over your parfait and garnish with fresh mint and a little drizzle of honey if you fancy an extra zing of sweetness.
Stylish-yet-comfy, these wide fit sandals are packed with practical qualities, making them our sandals of choice for everyday wear.
Their simple strappy design is easy to adjust, and the deep, moulded insole provides plenty of underfoot cushioning.
Wear these sandals with a floral wrap dress, or a straight-cut denim jeans on cooler days.Shop the Look
These days, trainers aren’t only for wearing when exercising. In fact, trainers have become the staple shoes for pretty much every occasion, and this classic lace-up pair are perfect for wearing with pretty much everything!Made with a modern design, these trainers are a pretty and practical option that you can wear with your summer dresses or denim jeans too.
Shop the Look